Saturday, December 26, 2009

What a Wonderful Christmas

What a wonderful day yesterday was.  We didn't wake up at the crack of dawn.  Instead we slept in. Our kids looked at books quietly in their rooms. We ate breakfast than my children brought me the last day of our advent calender.  Our advent calender is one that my mom made me before my oldest son was born.  Each day focuses on a name of Jesus.  For example: Man of Sorrows, A Tender Plant, Altogether Lovely, The Way, The Truth & The Life.  December 25 is Jesus is The Gift of God.  I was able to explain to them that Jesus is the Best Gift that we can ever receive.  Things bring joy for only a moment, but Christ brings deep satisfying joy everyday for eternity.  We didn't exchange gifts this year.  I did make my boys Blue's Clues Notebooks with a pencil so they can play along.  Friends that are like family gave the boys some gifts. We wanted to focus on who's day it really is.  It is not about us.  It is about Him.  Maybe next year we'll exchange gifts, but if we do I think it will not be on Christmas.  I think we are going to follow the pattern of some friends of ours, that I highly respect and think of the wife like an older sister.  They exchange at Thanksgiving and even then I don't think we will be elaborate in our family.

After the boys opened their present. We watched It's a Wonderful Life again.  That movie makes me cry.  We got the house ready for some friends from church to come over to spend the day with us.  We enjoyed so much fellowshipping with them.  Then we made cupcakes with the boys.  They love anything with chocolate. After dinner we put the candles in the cupcakes & sang happy birthday to Jesus and everyone blew the candles out.

At the end of the day I was so exhausted, but I had so much joy in my heart.  In the past, the day just felt like a day except with gifts.  This Christmas it was so satisfying, joyful and just wonderful.  My husband said to me right before we went to bed, "It felt like today was Sunday".  I knew what he meant.  It did feel spiritually refreshing like a Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment